The objective of the Athlete Development Programme (ADP) is to deliver a six weapon programme through which every NGF athlete aged between 15 and 23 can access development opportunities that supports them to maximize their potential. The ADP is not designed to replace the personal development programmes provided by clubs and personal coaches that existing and aspiring NGF athletes will be following, but to complement, help and support these athletes to make the transition between top level domestic and top level international performance and ultimately become successful senior athletes.
The 2021 goals of the NGF ADP are to:
- Put in place a sustainable world leading ADP which produces
robust and resilient NGF senior athletes.
- Achieve an average Junior NGF Team World Rankings of top 10 by 2021.
- Maximize athlete development opportunities for athletes aged 15-23 through an aligned delivery structure which includes Club.
- Provide opportunities to NGF athletes to support a lifelong and meaningful participation in the fencing community.
The programme will deliver activities for athletes through:
- NGF Development Centers
- NGF National Camps (approx. 5 per year)
Delivery of the NGF ADP goals will also be underpinned by the activities in the other NGF programmes.
The NGF Athlete Development Programme is funded by Sport Nigeria and Department for Education.